Friday, November 14, 2008

Evaluation (document and changes to final design)

My Design has changed considerably. At first I had a very complicated design but then I changed my mind about it and drew up conceptual ideas of a new preferred design. The size also changed when I found out I could enlarge it. I changed it from 120x120mm to 200x200mm.

The enlargement of the final product did not interfere with size of the rivet holes or the size of my brackets. Though the complete change in design I needed to shape my brackets differently to fit the bizzar top plate shape and I had to bend them less than 90 degrees and I needed to move the rivets holes from where orinally planned so the rivets on opposing sides didn't clash.

I decided to use aluminium in the end over stainless steel because aluminium is cheeper and completely suitable for the constraints and specifications. Besides, Terry had already ordrered a lot for everyone in the class.

When I had finished my top plate, Terry suggested that I make an arcylic mould to fit in between my top and bottom plates of aluminium. I already had a similar idea to his forming in my head so I thought I pursued Terrys idea and made the arcylic mould. This did slightly hinder my design prcess as I had already made the brackets for the bottom plate but I had made the arcylic mould able to fit into the bottom plate of my light and used as brackets. so I threw away the original brackets.

I re-wired the curcuit i was given and modified it. I changed it from a series circuit with one 3.6v LED to a parallel circuit with two 3.2v LED's. I also changed my solar panel from the originally planned massive one, to the small stock panel becuase I was running out of time and I wouldn't be able to order it.

These were the changes I made to my final product.

No comments: